Resistance Bands For Exercise
There may be many reasons that we tend to slow down and become more sedentary with growing age. The reason can be health problems, weight or pain issues, or worries about falling sick. Or perhaps because of the mindset that exercise isn’t for you and wastes time and energy. But as you grow older, an active lifestyle becomes the most crucial part of your healthy mind and body. Strong muscles are essential in every phase of life, be it in your 20’s or your 80’s is one of the most recommended exercises for the seniors. This article discusses resistance bands in detail.
What is Resistance Band Exercise?
A resistance band is a plastic band that is used for strength training. These bands help activate and tone the body muscles by moving them against tension, building strength along the way. Like dumbbells, kettlebells, or other weights, resistance bands tend to offer a simple yet effective way to get an all-around strength workout just at home. Resistance bands are preferred by those who want to exercise at home.
There are many benefits to this simple exercising tool, including versatility, convenience, safety, and effectiveness. Band exercise tools are a convenient option for people of any age or fitness level. But don’t let their simplicity fool you. Resistance band exercises are undoubtedly more effective and offer many benefits over any traditional or modern free weights.
Now let’s dive into the benefits of Resistance Band Exercise:
Tone and strengthen
Resistance bands exercise increases tension in your muscles and cause them to contract. The more you stretch with the band’s help, the more intense the resistance gets, and the more challenging the exercise becomes. You can also create more resistance by holding the resistance band in a position that will increase tension—like bringing your hands closer together when moving your arms.
Add assistance, not just resistance
Resistance bands can also assist your progress with any challenging exercises. For example, if you are willing to get better and stronger at pull-ups, you may attach this band under your knee or foot as an assistant version. While performing the band’s pull-up, your weight is entirely supported by the band, making the exercise more accessible and demanding.
Great for stretching
Resistance bands can be used to provide upper body pain relief through some powerful stretching exercises. For a great upper back stretch, try sitting on the floor with extended legs and loop the resistance band around your feet. Grab the sides of the resistance band at your shoulder width and gently curl your back from your feet. You can also use resistance bands in your everyday stretch routine after and before working out. With rubber bands’ help, you’ll gently elongate your limbs and release your muscular body tension.
Lightweight and portable
Resistance bands make a perfect companion for those who are willing to exercise during their travel period. They are incredibly lightweight and can easily be stashed in your suitcase.
Suitable for almost everyone
These bands work on your muscles as weights do – your muscles are contracted to generate force to control the desired movement. Unlike weight resistance, bands don’t rely on gravity as traditional weights do. It means that the body can move and expand the range of motion in any exercise.
Protects your bones and joints
Resistance bands help your bones and muscles get stronger by stretching them against the tension. Strength training can help your bones build more cells and become denser by preventing conditions like osteoporosis and back pain. Because rubber bands provide extra resistance, they increase strength exercises’ effectiveness and kick start bone building.
Resistance Band Exercises:
Overhead Arm Exercise for strong shoulder and arms:
- Place one end of your resistance band under your right foot to keep it secure, and for preventing any unnecessary movement, hold the other end of the band in your right hand.
- Bend your right arm at the elbow. Your elbow should be pointing toward the sky and your right hand right behind you.
- Slowly straighten your right arm and also extend your right hand toward the sky.
- Hold the position for 10 seconds, and slowly lower your right arm.
- Repeat the same with your left arm.
Knee extension exercise:
Try sitting on a chair position for this exercise, tie one end of your resistance band around your right ankle, and secure the other end with a heavyweight behind you.
- Bend your knees to a 90-degree angle.
- Slowly straighten your left knee as high as you can according to your comfort level against the resistance band.
- Slowly get back to the same knee bending position.
- Relax and then repeat the same with your left leg.
- Repeat the exercise 2 more times with each leg.
Week Neck Muscle Strengthen Exercise:
- Wrap on the end of your resistance band around the back of your head. Hold its other ends in front of your face.
- Slowly bend your elbows.
- Slowly and gently extend both your arms making the band stretch forward. Remember not to bend your neck.
- Hold the Post for the first 15 seconds.
- Slowly bend your elbows, and repeat the exercise 5 times.
Bicep Curls without any Weights:
- Get started by placing the middle of the resistance band under your right feet and hold the other end of the band tightly in both your hands.
- Slowly, let your arms fall on to your sides.
- Start with one arm at a time, slowly and gently bend your elbow, wrist straight, and lift your hand toward your shoulder.
- Hold this for 10 seconds.
- Slowly bring your arm to its normal position.
- Repeat the same with your left arm.
Hip Flexion Exercise for Back Pain:
- While sitting on a chair, wrap your resistance band around your lower thigh of your right leg.
- Step on the other ends of the band with your left foot to keep it still and avoid any movements.
- With your knee still bent, slowly lift your right foot off the ground.
- Lift your foot as high as possible according to your comfort, and hold on for 5-10 seconds.
- Lower your foot and repeat the same with your left leg.
These resistance band workout exercises will help strengthen your body and activates your muscles’ core. If your day’s routine involves a lot of sitting or travel, these exercises will help you with the tremendous overall body balance, muscle strength, and posture. There are many more workouts with the resistance band that can be completely useful for you, but these five exercises listed above are a great way to get started.