By incorporating a stretching routine as part of your day-to-day activities, you can improve flexibility and motion. Moreover, stretching also helps you perform better at sports and other daily tasks. It can also help decrease pain and relieve muscle tightness. We have put together a list of the 6 most effective stretches that you should incorporate into your daily routine. Let’s take a look.
This stretch is ideal for loosening up the muscles in the lower body. This includes the hamstrings and the lower back. Tight hamstrings often cause lower back pain, which may worsen if you sit for longer periods. This stretch will help to ensure that your muscles don’t tighten up even if you have to remain seated for prolonged periods of time during the day.
- Stand straight with your feet shoulder-length apart.
- Place your left leg towards the back and put your hands on the ground on either side of your right leg.
- Start lowering your hips until you feel pressure on the waist and hip and hold for 30 seconds.
- Repeat the same stretch with your right leg
The forward fold is a full-body stretch and is perfect for people who sit for long hours – for example, people who work in an office all day long. The stretch focuses on the hamstrings and legs. It also opens up and eases the shoulders and chest.
- Stand straight with your feet shoulder length apart and toes pointing forward.
- Reach your hands behind you to meet your glutes and cross your fingers if you can.
- Keep your back flat and slowly bend at the waist by shifting your weight backward until you feel a stretch down the back of your legs.
- As you continue to bend forward, allow your arms to be pulled above your head while keeping them straight and hold for 30 seconds.
- Repeat this stretch at least 3 times to feel its full effects.
Seated Back Twist
This type of stretch is actually a great way to relieve spinal pain and maintain good posture. They can also improve mobility and substantially reduce back pain and discomfort. However, if you have a spinal injury spinal disk problem, you should skip this stretch and do some others on this list.
- Sit on the floor while crossing your legs. Your left leg should be on top.
- Cross your left leg further over your right leg and place your foot on the ground by your right knee. Your left leg should be pointing up at this point.
- Now, gently push your shoulders towards the left. You can use your left leg for leverage.
- Hold this position for about 30 seconds and repeat.
The bound angle is a really great stretch for both men and women. The stretch decreases tension around the hips and also works to improve hip structure. It also releases tension around the thighs, which can be great for athletes and people who enjoy sports.
- Sit on the floor with your back straightened out.
- Place your hands on your feet and feel your spine lengthening.
- Try to shift your weight forward off your tailbone.
- Slowly lean forward with a flat back. Use your arms for push and assistance, and slowly bring your head closer to your feet.
- Don’t try to go too far on the first try. Hold this position for 30 seconds and repeat.
People who maintain a very poor posture often complain about tightness in their chest and shoulders. This can escalate and even cause more problems in the future. Thus, doing this stretch every day can help combat muscle tightness and maintain proper posture and balance. It also helps to stabilize breathing and improves the quality of sleep.
- Stand straight in the middle of a door opening.
- Place your forearms on either side of the door opening. Make sure that the doorway is not too wide.
- Start leaning forward towards the doorway until you feel the stretch on your arms, chest, and shoulders.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds and then repeat.
The Glute Bridge
The glute bright targets the back and hips. It improves the flexibility of the muscles in your back and hips and also strengthens your spine. The glute bridge is not easy to master, and you might not get it right the first time, but it is important to try every day until you do.
- Lie down on your back while keeping your knees bent and feet close to your abdomen.
- Push yourself downwards and raise your abdomen off the floor.
- Continue to lift upwards until your body is completely straight from your shoulders to your knees. However, your shoulders should still be on the floor.
- Hold for 30 seconds before lowering your back again.
Stretching for only a few minutes during your busy day can go a long way. It has a range of benefits, and you will notice a huge difference in your lifestyle if you stick to these daily stretches. You will also notice many improvements in your life; for instance, you will sleep better, wake up fresh in the morning, and feel more active and more productive throughout the day.